Social networking has taken the world by storm since its inception back in the early 2000s and ever since then numerous social media apps (for smartphones) have also been developed in order to connect mobile users to the internet mainstream. Facebook became the King of social media sites by 2005 and then, followed by Twitter. With the ever evolving technology of the smartphone Instagram, Snapchat, Vine and Pinterest came crashing through the social media ranks very quickly. Today the competition has become as grand as a Manny Pacquiao main event in Pay Per View that new contender apps could knock out the competition any time soon!
This year 2016 let me walk you through some of the rising superstars in social media apps soon to be installed on your smartphones.
– First on the list is Peach. It was created by the genius who brought us Vine, Dom Hofmann and it seems he’s got more surprises for us as the future of social media unfolds. Peac is like a combination of Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and several other social networking sites/apps; however, its unique features takes social networking to a whole new level! Adding or inviting friends works much like Instagram and you use their usernames, but you can also search Peach using their real names. The most notable features about Peach are the “Magic Words” feature, “Shouts” feature and “Safari.” Find out more about how Peach works from this YouTube video and this guide.
– Wanelo is the acronym for “Want, Need and Love” and is a social media app certered on fashion-related products. Here you will find all the big brands of designer wear and accessories as well as small time sellers from Etsy and other outlets. Wanelo works much like Twitter and Instagram and you can post a story or a share a link (only fashion products are allowed) and your friends as well as other users can like, comment and share it. You also have the option to save those links and stories as they mostly contain products that you may like. So in the future when you’re ready to make a purchase, then you just review your saved contents and buy directly from your phone.
3) Yik Yak
– This social networking app utilizes your phone’s geotagging capabilities and allows you to share your thoughts and opinions to nearby mobile users. You may think that all your information will be displayed once you’ve made a wall post in Yik Yak, but this is far from true. Actually this app allows you to post anything anonymously, so there are no usernames or passwords, just download and install the app and share your thoughts right away. It’s interesting to join this social network, because while you may not know the people who are posting stuff there, you will be able to relate to their posts as it concerns your immediate area. That is why it became one of the most trending social networking app in 2016.
– Some say that Kik is a kin of the Yik Yak app, I suppose that’s true, because aside from having almost similar names, they share the same attributes. Particularly, they use the same geotagging capabilities of your phone and it is purepy for messaging. It also does not require your personal details or phone number to be able to use the app, all you need is to pick a username and you can immediately use the app to communicate with friends. You can share pictures, videos, gifs, games and of course text with friends through this app.
– Get this folks, Justin Bieber, yes, you heard that right, Justin Bieber funded the startup company that created this app and it’s pretty cool! Shots lets you take selfies, photos or videos and adds a time stamp on them ala VHS recording, and then you post them on your profile, giving it a retro feel. Unfortunately, the developers did not include a comment section on the app as they are concerned about cyberbullying. But on the bright side there’s a lot of selfies and videos to look at, so it should keep you interested.
– A cousin of Yik Yak and Kik, Hyper is a new and cool app from open source developers, meaning you can use it for free and share tons of your photos through hashtags and geotagging. A unique feature of this app is that it allows users to vote on anything other users deems worthy of voting. For instance, a user may post a picture of his or her new shoes and ask other users to vote on it and whether they think it looks good on them or not.
– Bebo is not new to be precise as it has already been around since 2005 which makes it as old as Facebook and Twitter, but it made a great come back that it’s trending again on mobile web this time. In order to gain more favor from the crowd, Bebo developers redesigned their social network from top to bottom and it is more appealing to the new generation now. You create your own avatar, and you can chat with friends using funny illustrations that are generated from your hashtags.